5 ways of financial planning for retirement
How many of us are doing financial planning for retirement? As per a study conducted in India, only 10% of the individuals are creating a corpus for retirement planning. Majority of individuals are thinking about retirement planning, just 5-6 years before the retirement age.
Why retirement planning is important to us
Every individual wants to have financial independence after retirement. However when individual’s income is under sun-set, raising medical expenses, emergency money requirement and money required to live the balance of the life would become important.
When an individual should start for retirement planning
The early you start, the more corpus you would accumulate. The late you start, the more you need to save to achieve the retirement planning. Investing in best investment plans would maximise the accumulative value.
5 ways of financial planning for retirement:
There are various investment and retirement tools available for retirement planning.
1) Retirement / Pension plans: There are several insurance companies which are offering retirement / pension plans. The early you start, the lower amount you need to invest in such plans. The returns on such plans would be sufficient for inflation in future years (rising prices year on year). Generally 30% of the sum assured would be paid as lump sum at maturity. The balance would be paid on annuity basis i.e. from 60 years of age; amounts are paid through equal amounts till the end of your life. Currently, there are very good retirement / pension plans available in the market which you can grab it.
2) Endowment insurance plans: Another investment tool available to build retirement corpus is taking the endowment insurance plans. We should not mix insurance and investment. Insurance is a need. However endowment plan can be used as insurance plan cum investment plan. Under endowment insurance plan, insurer need to pay equal monthly/quarterly/yearly insurance premiums till the end of the insurance period or till the time the insurer is survived. Taking endowment insurance plan not only provides for retirement planning, but it would also help the family to meet financial goals in case of absence of the insurer. Generally the annualized returns on insurance plans are ranging in 6% to 6.5%, which may be sufficient to beat the future inflation.
3) Bank fixed deposits: There are various bank fixed deposits which are offered with higher interest rates for long term objective. The interest rates ranging from 8% to 9% per annum. However post tax the returns would be lower.
4) Public Provident fund: PPF account needs to be opened for 15 years period and an individual can invest up to Rs 70,000 per annum. Apart from getting tax saving benefit, the yield would be 8%+ per annum. The PPF account can be extended for any number of years beyond 15 years. Currently the PPF account is offered in post offices and State Bank of India. This is one of the good ways of financial planning for retirement.
5) Mutual funds: Investing in mutual funds would yield good returns in the long term. In the last 10 years, mutual funds have returned 15% annualized returns; hence this is also one of the good ways of financial planning for retirement.
Conclusion: Financial planning for retirement is very important for every individual. It should be started early in the life so that less amount can be saved every month / quarter to achieve the maximum corpus retirement. Do the retirement planning with diversified investment tools and options to maximize the corpus amount during retirement.
Readers, what your opinions about the financial planning for retirement? Please give your comments.
If you found this article is good, share the link in Twitter/Face book. The links are provided below.
- DOMS Industries IPO – Dates, Positives, Risks and Review - December 10, 2023
- India Shelter Finance IPO – Dates, Positives, Risks and Review - December 9, 2023
- These AA Rated Indiabulls Housing Finance NCD-Dec-2023 offers 10.75% Interest Rates - December 8, 2023