Baroda BNP Paribas has launched the Nifty 50 Index Fund NFO (New Fund Offer). As the name indicates, Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund would invest in stocks that are part of the Nifty 50 Index. This index has delivered 11% annualized returns in the last 25 years since inception. While investors generally prefer index funds, it’s important to consider these as long-term investments. Should you invest in the Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund NFO? What are the risk factors associated with this mutual fund?
Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund NFO issue details
This is an open-ended index fund that replicates/tracks the Nifty 50 Index. Here are the details for the NFO.
|Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund
|Scheme reopens for continuous purchase/sale
|Within 5 working days
|Minimum Application Amount
|Rs 5,000 and in multiples of Rs 1 thereafter
|Rs 500 for 6 months
|NAV of the fund
|Rs 10 during NFO period
|0.2% for redemption Within 30 days
|Very High Risk
|NIFTY 50 TRI
What is the investment objective of Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund?
The investment objective of the scheme is to provide investment returns closely corresponding to the total returns of the securities as represented by the Nifty 50 Total Returns Index before expenses, subject to tracking errors, fees and expenses.
However, there is no assurance that the objective of the Scheme will be realized, and the Scheme does not assure or guarantee any returns
What is the allocation pattern in this index fund?
Here is how the index fund would invest:
|Type of instruments
|Equity and Equity related securities of companies constituting Nifty 50 Index
|Money Market Instruments & Units of Liquid scheme & Cash & Cash equivalents.
|Low to Medium
What does Nifty 50 Index contain?
The NIFTY 50 index is a well-diversified index comprising 50 companies, reflecting overall market conditions. The NIFTY 50 Index is computed using the free-float market capitalization method.
NIFTY 50 can be used for various purposes, including benchmarking fund portfolios, launching index funds, ETFs, and structured products. Here is the current list of sectors and their weightage in this index, along with the top constituents.
Why Invest in Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund NFO?
Here are a few reasons to invest in such index funds.
- Diversified Portfolio: This fund invests in the Nifty 50 index, which consists of a diversified portfolio of stocks. This can significantly contribute to portfolio diversification.
- Stable Returns: The Nifty 50 index has delivered stable returns, exhibiting a track record of 14% annualized returns in the last 5 years and 11% annualized returns since inception.
- Long-Term Performance: If you have concerns about the long-term performance of your large-cap or flexicap fund, the Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund offers a promising option. Historical data shows strong performance over the long run for such indices.
Some key risk factors you should consider before you invest in such funds
One should consider some of these risk factors / negative factors before investing.
- Equity-Like Nature: This index fund invests in 50 stocks which is like direct equity investment. Investing in specific stocks is generally considered high-risk.
- Debt Instrument Exposure: The fund allocates up to 5% in debt instruments, which has interest rate risk, credit risk, and liquidity risk associated with such instruments.
- Limited Returns: Returns in this index fund are capped. While the last 5 years have shown an annualized return of 14%, this is largely due to the recent bull runs in 2020 and 2023, which may not be a frequent occurrence. Otherwise, returns could be lower, around 10% to 11%.
- Investors should read the SID / KIM / prospectus before investing in such mutual funds.
How Does the Nifty 50 Index Performed in the past?
Now, let’s examine the performance of the underlying index in which this fund will invest. Total returns encompass dividends, interest, and rights received by the shareholders (if any).
Should You Invest in Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund NFO?
Baroda BNP Paribas Nifty 50 Index Fund invests in Nifty 50 index stocks. This index has generated stable returns, delivering an annualized return of 11% since inception and 14% annualized returns in the last 5 years.
This mutual fund scheme may be suitable for high-risk investors with an investment horizon of 5-10 years.
On the other hand, low-risk investors and short-term investors may choose to avoid such investments.
- Best Mutual Funds to invest in 2024 (as per Google AI Gemini) - February 20, 2024
- GPT Healthcare IPO – Should You Invest? - February 19, 2024
- 11.5% Chemmanur Credits and Investments NCD Feb-24 – issue Details and Review - February 18, 2024