How to complaint against Insurance Company when there is no response?
You would have purchased an insurance product, however you had a query which you raised with them, but the insurance company is not responding to you. You have brought life insurance or health insurance, but when needed, the insurance company is NOT picking up phone calls and not responding to your queries. How to complaint against such insurance company when there is no response from them?
Example of the insurance company not responding
Last week there was a comment on our blog where Mr. Ravi has applied LIC e-Term insurance policy. Here is the comment.
Its has been 4 months since I have applied for this Policy. All documents submitted and all medical tests were completed in smooth manner. However it hit a road block for me for being little too honest. I had small hospitalization for gas problem 7 years back which I clearly mentioned in the form. Now I also declared that I do not have the reports for the same and if required I can give this in writing as well. Also since they have conducted all medical tests they know that currently there are no related issues which may cause any problem in future.
How to complaint against Insurance Company when there is no response?
There are 2 ways where you can complaint against an insurance company. One is internal to the insurance company and second is directly to the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDA).
Method-1 – Complaining about insurance company to GRO of insurance company
IRDA has asked insurance companies to have Grievance Redressal Officers at each of their branch / offices to address issues which are not being closed by the officers of the insurance company. Below is the process you should adopt to complaint against an insurance company.
- Step-1: Approach Grievance Redressal Officers of the branch / office. List of GRO’s is enclosed below.
- Step-2: Give written complaint with necessary supporting documents
- Step-3: Get acknowledgement of such complaint about the company
- Step-4: Insurance company would come back with your complaint within 15 days from the date of complaint. In case you are not getting response after 15 days too, you can straight away move to Method-2 of complaining directly to IRDA
List of Grievance Redressal Officers of all insurance companies are enclosed below:
|Insurer||Name of GRO||GRO email ID|
|Aegon Religare Life Insurance||Mr. Debmalya Maitra, Mr. Anil Agarwalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Aviva Life Insurance||Ms. Namrata Kumaremail@example.com|
|Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance||Mr. Sandeep Nair||Sandeep.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Bharti Axa Life Insurance||Mr. Sandeep Arora||Sandeep.Arora@bharti-axalife.com email@example.com|
|Birla Sun Life Insurance||Ms. Gurvinder Sehgalfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Canara HSBC Life Insurance||Ms. Pooja Vermaemail@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org|
|DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance||Mr. Anurag Singhemail@example.com|
|Edelweiss Tokio Life Insurance||Mr. Nilesh Parmarfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Exide Life Insurance||Mr. B. Ashwinemail@example.com|
|Future Generali Life Insurance||Mr. Madan Jalanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|HDFC Standard Life Insurance||Mr. Ravi.k. Chikkamemail@example.com|
|ICICI Prudential Life Insurance||Ms. Dinaz Mairafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|IDBI Federal Life Insurance||Ms. Lalitha Bhatia||Lalitha.Bhatia@idbifederal.com|
|India First Life Insurance||Ms. Lillian D Silva / Mr. Mohit Rochlaniemail@example.com|
|Kotak Mahindra Life Insurance||Ms. Priti Punjabifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Life Insurance Corporation (LIC)||Mr. Ganeshemail@example.com|
|Max Life Insurance||Mr. Chaitanya Kapoor||Chaitanya.Kapoor@maxlifeinsurance.com|
|PNB MetLife Insurance||Mr. Shiva Kumar Nfirstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com|
|Reliance Life Insurance||Mr. Shanai Ghoshfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mr. Soumitra Velkaremail@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sahara India Life Insurance||Mr. Parakh Tandonemail@example.com|
|SBI Life Insurance||Mr. Rajkumar Rainafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Shri Ram Life Insurance||Mr. Pilla Venkata Sreekanthemail@example.com|
|Star Union Daichi Life Insurance||Ms. Gauri Mhatrefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tata AIA Life Insurance||Mr. S. Swaminathan||Swaminathan.S@tataaia.com|
Method-2 – Complaining about insurance company to IRDA
You can approach Grevience Redressel Cell of the Consumer Affairs department of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India by any of the following methods. This is either to give complaint or in case you are not happy with the answer provided by insurance company or GRO of insurance company. Keep documents ready pertaining to complaints given earlier to the insurance company and GRO along with necessary supporting documents.
- Phone contact: Call Toll Free no. 1800 4254 732 or 155 255 and record your complaint.
- Email contact: You can mail to email@example.com where they would respond with your query after checking with insurance company.
- IGMS: Use Integrated Grevience Management System and automated reporting of your complaint at www.igms.irda.gov.in
- Post: You can post / courier your written complaint to the following address. However, you need to download prescribed format, fill and post along with your complaint.
- Consumer Affairs Department
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority
- 3-5-817/818, United India Towers, 9th Floor
- Hyderguda, Basheerbagh
- Hyderabad – 500 029
Some sample instances where you may like to complaint:
- You have applied for life insurance / health insurance, the premium is deducted from your account, however policy is not issued, no response from the insurance company about your follow-ups.
- You have purchased insurance products, but have queries / issues in the policy document, following up with insurance department for clarification / rectification in the document, but no response in spite of repeated requests.
- You have purchased insurance product, but not happy with the service, making follow-up to either get clarity or to surrender the policy, but no response from the insurance company.
The above are some of the issues which came to my mind. You might be facing several other issues too.
Conclusion: First ensure that you lodge requests with an insurance company that you are following up on a query / or you have a complaint about the insurance product you applied or purchased. This would be useful when you approach Grievance Redressal Officer of an insurance company that he/she can track and provide immediate solutions in 15 days. Even GRO is not responding you should approach IRDA with all proofs. This should be your last option.
If you like this article, please share this on your Facebook or Twitter. This would be a special gift which you would be giving to our blog.
How to complaint against Insurance Company