Embassy Office Parks REIT Issue – First REIT in India – Should you Invest?
Embassy Office Parks REIT Issue Review
Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue would hit the market on 18th March, 2019. Many of us might not be much aware about REIT Units or REIT Investments. Embassy Office Parks are the owner of a high quality office portfolio in India that serves as essential corporate infrastructure to multinational tenants and has significant embedded growth prospects. What is REIT in India? What are the positive factors in Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue? What are the hidden factors in Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue? What is the tax aspect of investing in REIT IPO / Public Issue? Should you invest in Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue?
What is REIT in India?
The REIT is like a mutual fund. Mutual Fund invests in stocks and debt instruments. However, REIT pools money from investors and invests in income producing real estate properties. Means investors are indirectly investing in real estate properties.
Here is the flow:
Investors invests in REIT à REIT Manager invests in Real Estate Properties à Rent Received / Capital Appreciation on assets à REIT Manager/Trust à Distribute dividend income/Rental income/Interest Income/Capital gains to Investors.
You can watch this video for more info.
About Embassy Office Parks Limited
They are the owner of a high quality office portfolio in India that serves as essential corporate infrastructure to multinational tenants and has significant embedded growth prospects. They expect to be the first listed REIT in India upon the listing of Units on the Stock Exchanges and believe that there is no other office portfolio of comparable scale, diversity and quality in India today. Over the last two decades, India has emerged as a leading services hub for global corporations, due to its large talent pool and cost advantage of high value services. This, along with expansion of domestic companies, has resulted in robust demand for commercial office space and strong growth across India’s major office markets.
Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue Issue details
IPO opening date: 18-Mar-2019
IPO closure date: 20-Mar-2019
Face Value: Rs 0 per share
Issue price band: Rs 299 to Rs 300 per share/unit.
Issue size: 4,750 Crores to Rs 5,000 Crores
IPO Lot size: 400 shares and 400 shares, there-off. The minimum order is 800 shares
Minimum investment: Rs 2.4 Lakhs on the higher price band (SEBI REIT guidelines say Rs 2 Lakhs for Retail, however 800 units would arrive at Rs 2.4 Lakhs).
Leading Managers: Axis Capital, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Equities, Goldmansachs, HSBC Securities, IIFL Holdings, JM Financials, Nomura Financial Advisory
Listing: BSE / NSE
Objects of the Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue issue
The investment objective of the Embassy REIT shall be to make investments as a real estate investment trust as permissible in terms of the REIT Regulations. The investment of the Embassy REIT 61 shall only be in accordance with the REIT Regulations, including in such holding companies, special purpose vehicles or real estate properties (whether completed or otherwise), securities in India or transferable development rights as permitted under the REIT Regulations.
The principal investment objective of the Embassy REIT is to own, operate and invest in rent or income generating office real estate and related assets in India in accordance with the REIT Regulations. The Trustee shall ensure that the Capital Contribution (as defined in the Trust Deed) and other REIT Assets (as defined in the Trust Deed) shall be utilized solely for the purposes of making investments as stated above and for incurring the REIT Expenses (as defined in the Trust Deed), in accordance with the REIT Regulations.
Company Financials (Reinstated-Combined)
1) The company generated revenue of Rs 1,575 Crores for the year ended Mar-16 and Rs 1,766 Crores for the year ended Mar-18. Its revenues are Rs 1,493 Crores for 9 months ended Dec-2018.
2) The company posted a profit of Rs 93.1 Crores for the year ended Mar-16 and profit of Rs 256.9 Crores for the year ended Mar-18. It posted a profit of Rs 212.1 Crores for 9 months ended Dec-2018.
What are the key strengths of Embassy Office Parks Limited?
Here are the key strengths of the company.
1) Located in India, a leading services hub for global corporates.
2) Best-in-class office properties with high quality infrastructure.
3) Highly occupied by a diversified, high quality, ‘sticky’ multinational tenant base.
4) Simple business with embedded growth.
5) Strategically located in the top-performing markets with high barriers to entry.
6) Highly experienced management team.
7) Renowned Sponsors with global expertise and local knowledge.
What are the Strategies of Embassy Office Parks Ltd?
Here are the key strategies of the company.
1) Capitalize on our Portfolio’s embedded organic growth and new development opportunities
2) Disciplined acquisition strategy with strong balance sheet
3) Proactive asset management to drive value
4) Rent and Occupancy Analysis
What is the Grey Market Price (GMP) of Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue?
There is no Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue GMP trading happening in the market as it is REITs public issue.
What are the tax implications of investing in such REIT Public Issue IPO?
Here is the taxation aspect of any returns/capital gains from REITs.
1) REITs are supposed to distribute 90% of the distributable cash flow to unit holders by way of dividends. Such dividends are tax free for investors as the company would pay dividend distribution tax
2) REIT units would be listed on BSE/NSE and may trade at the higher price or lower price. If you sell them before 3 years from the date of allotment/holding, you need to pay short term capital gain of 15%. If you sell them after 3 years from the date of allotment/holding, you need to pay long term capital gain of 10% in excess of Rs 1 Lakh.
Reasons to invest in Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue
1) First REIT IPO Public Issue that has come up with a public subscription.
2) Consistent revenue growth in the last 3 years. Its revenues increased from Rs 1,575 Crores in FY16 to Rs 1,766 Crores in FY2018.
3) Margins are on the improvement mode i.e. it posted profits of 5.9% in FY2016 Vs 14.5% in FY2018. However, all investments made till now would start yielding income going forward, hence past history may or may not be relevant here.
4) 90% of the distributable cash flow should be given to unit holders. Means, unit holders might get regular income by way of dividends though not guaranteed.
5) The Embassy REIT has been given a long-term rating of [ICRA] AAA by ICRA. The outlook on the assigned rating is ‘Stable’.
Risk Factors / Reasons not to invest in Embassy Office Parks Ltd IPO/Public Issue
1) The Formation Transactions will only be given effect to after the Bid/Issue Closing Date. Further, they will assume existing liabilities in relation to the Portfolio, which liabilities if realized may impact the trading price of the units and its profitability and ability to make distributions
2) After the completion of the Issue and the listing of the Units, they intend to obtain external debt financing to repay a portion of the debt of the Portfolio and to finance the Portfolio’s business and financing requirements. The terms of this financing may limit its ability to make distributions to the Unitholders.
3) They may utilize a significant amount of debt in the operation of its business, and its cash flows and operating results could be adversely affected by required repayments or related interest and other risks of its debt financing. Its inability to service debt may impact distributions to Unitholders.
4) They do not provide any assurance or guarantee of any distributions to the Unitholders. They may not be able to make distributions to Unitholders in the manner described in this Offer Document or at all, and the level of distributions may decrease.
5) The REIT Regulations impose restrictions on the investments made by us and require us to adhere to certain investment conditions, which may limit its ability to acquire and/or dispose of assets or explore new opportunities. Further, the regulatory framework governing real estate investment trusts in India is new and untested
6) The proposed holding and financing structure of the Portfolio may not be tax efficient.
7) Its business is dependent on the Indian economy and financial stability in Indian markets, and any slowdown in the Indian economy or in Indian financial markets could have a material adverse effect on its business
8) They have a limited operating history and may not be able to operate its business successfully or generate sufficient cash flows to make or sustain distributions.
9) Further, the Condensed Combined Financial Statements are prepared for the Offer Document and may not necessarily represent its consolidated financial position, results of operation and cash flows.
10) A significant portion of its revenues are derived from a limited number of large tenants, tenants in the technology sector and from a few integrated office parks.
11) Any conditions that impact these tenants, the technology sector or parks may adversely affect its business, revenue from operations and financial condition.
12) Tenant leases across its Portfolio is subject to the risk of non-renewal, non-replacement or early termination. Further, vacant properties could be difficult to lease, which could adversely affect its revenues.
13) For complete internal and external risk factors, you can refer the DRP of the company.
You may like: MSTC Mini Ratna IPO – Should you invest or avoid?
Should you invest in a Embassy Office Parks Ltd REIT Public Issue?
Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue is the first REIT IPO that is coming up for public issue in India. Its revenues and profits are showing consistent growth, however these may not be relevant as new investments would keep fetching higher or lower returns. There is a some craze now about this REIT Public issue. However, minimum investment of Rs 2.4 Lakh makes this public issue unattractive. Dividend yield might be between 5% to 8% and don’t expect anything beyond this. Capital appreciation can also be limited to single digit. REITs concept is still new and yet to get to some maturity. Unless you are clear on where you are investing, you should stay away from such investments as of now. High risk investors who understand how REIT work and want to compromise on single digit returns with a long term perspective can invest in this REIT issue.
Disclaimer: I do not have an interest in investing in this REIT Issue and above analysis is based on my personal views. The idea of giving positive and negative factors to investors in this article is to create awareness and education about this issue. One should NOT constitute this as investment advice to buy or not to buy. Please consult your investment advisor before you invest in such high risk investment options.
Readers, would you like to invest in this REIT Issue?
If you enjoyed this article, share it with your friends and colleagues through Facebook and Twitter.
Embassy Office Parks REIT Public Issue Review
- Motilal Oswal 5 Year G-Sec ETF – Can we expect past performance of 9.5% annualized returns of Index? - November 25, 2020
- 10 Reasons Angel Investors Choose to Invest in Start-ups - November 24, 2020
- RBL Bank FD offers up to 6.95% interest rates – Should you invest? - November 24, 2020