Last month, Star health insurance announced a health insurance policy for heart patients called Star Cardiac Care Insurance policy. This is a unique health insurance policy for heart patients. Currently there are 32 million heart patients across India and insurance companies are ignoring the requirement of health insurance for them. Star Cardiac Care insurance policy is India’s first and only health insurance policy for heart patients.
Eligibility to apply for Star Cardiac Care insurance policy
- The individual should be in the age group of 10 to 65 years while applying for this health insurance plan.
- Any person aged between 10 years and 65 years and who has undergone for the first time PTCA (Stenting) or CABG (By-pass) between 6 months and 3 years prior to the date of policy purchase.
- For e.g. if an individual has undergone heart surgery on 1-Jan-2013, he would be eligible to apply for this policy after 6 months i.e. from 1-Jul-2013, but before 3 years period i.e. 1-Jan-2016. Means he can apply during 1-Jul-2013 to 1-Jan-2016 period for this policy.
Features of Star Cardiac Care insurance policy
1) Benefits are classified under section-1 and Section-2
Section-1: In-patient hospitalization expenses:
- Coverage in-patient expenses beyond 24 hours hospitalization.
- Pre-existing diseases would get covered after 4 years of continuous renewal with any of the insurer in India
- Ambulance charges for emergency transportation to hospital as per specified limits.
- 101 Day-care treatments covered.
Section-2: In-patient cardiac treatment expenses
- Pre-existing cardiac ailment expenses would be covered only after 90 days from the date of the policy. Cardiac treatment expenses after 24 hours of hospitalization are covered here.
- Under Gold Plan, any cardiac related complications necessitating surgery / intervention and also cardiac medical management.
- Under Silver Plan, any cardiac related complications necessitating surgery / intervention only.
2) Lifelong renewals beyond 65 years of age.
3) Policy is available in Gold Plan and Silver Plan. All the coverage would be same except in Gold Plan, an additional coverage of “Cardiac Medical Management” is available.
4) Tax benefits under Section 80C
5) You can increase risk coverage during renewal of policy
Terms and conditions
- Health check-up needs to be done and insured needs to submit all past medical records.
- Co-payment of 10% claim needs to be done if the insured is above 60 years of age.
Exclusions from Star Cardiac Care Insurance Policy
- Cardiac related expenses up to 90 days from the date of policy
- Pre-existing diseases expenses up to 4 years are not covered
- First 30 days treatment not covered unless it is an accident
- First 2 years, treatment for Veins, Knee, Joint, Cataract etc. are not covered
- Maternity expenses not covered
- Dental treatment expenses not covered
- Hearing aids, contact lenses or spectacles expenses are not covered
Premium for Star Cardiac Care Insurance policy
Brochure can be downloaded at this link:
Conclusion: Star Cardiac care Insurance policy is a unique health insurance policy that caters the need of heart patients. Though the premiums are high, since this is the first and only health policy that is helping heart patients with an insurance coverage, I feel one can buy this policy if they can afford.
If you enjoyed this article, share this with your friends and colleagues through Facebook and twitter.
Star Cardiac Care-Unique health insurance policy for heart patients
- Aditya Birla Sun Life NASDAQ 100 FoF (NFO) – Should you invest? - October 15, 2021
- ITI Pharma and Healthcare Fund Review – Is this NFO late in this bull run? - October 14, 2021
- ICICI Prudential Smallcap Index Fund NFO – Review - October 12, 2021